Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Sneaker Tree


What is this tree I just drove past
That made me drop my fries!
I looked once, then twice and then again
But could not believe my eyes!

I stopped my car, I jumped out quick
I must take a closer look
At this tree I saw next to the road,
But nowhere near a brook.

A tree that has no branches
A tree with not one leaf
A tree without one little bird!
I stood there in disbelief!

You frown and wonder “Hey, what’s up?”
“Lots of trees fit what you say.
No leaves, as well no branches,
Why would a bird even want to stay?”

That is true, I agree with you
But this tree was more than that
You see even without birds and branches
This tree was where it’s at!

I held my breath, my eyes grew wide
My knees became much weaker
This tree did not need leaves or branches
It was growing shoes and sneakers!

You heard me right, I speak the truth
About this wonder that I saw
About this magical tree in the desert
That made me stand in awe!

Sneakers of red and yellow and white
Sneakers to wear while flying a kite

Sneakers for mom, big ones for dad
Oh, my, do I see one made to be plaid?

Sneakers for kids and old people too
Sneakers for me and sneakers for you

Sneakers to wear while riding a bike
Even a pair of boots to wear on a hike!

Question marks float over my head
Fingernails scratch at my brow
How could a tree produce such a crop?
Could anyone explain to me how?

And do the sneakers fall off the tree
When the seasons begin to change?
And if they do, who rakes them up?
Oh, this was getting very strange.

I pondered then I wondered
Then I scratched my head again;
What kind of seed could grow this…
And not just what but when?

It must just be a magic tree
Grown with pixie dust and sweat
I could not stay and gaze much more
I could no longer fret.

My shoulders shrugged, I turned away
To leave this enchanted tree behind
I was sure no one would believe me
Oh, of this I was resigned.

I glanced in my rear view mirror
As the wheels began to turn
And saw the tree began to sparkle,
Saw brilliant colors churn.

No sooner had I seen the lights
Swirl about like rainbow streakers
That I noticed my feet were bare;
What happened to my sneakers?

© Copyright pending Susan R. O'Brien


2 comments:

  1. I love it!!!! What a wonderful poem about the strangest looking sight! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a pretty awesome tree!

    ReplyDelete