Saturday, August 18, 2012

Biking On The Canal


Legs pump with ease on my twenty-six speed
Cruise past bearded men casting fishing poles,
Helmet and Diamondback are all I need
To accomplish my thirty mile goal.
A duck quacks anxiously from in the reeds
As my bike rattles through a ragged hole;
Carefree days like this entice me to stay
On the Canal pedaling stress away.

Proceeding cautiously I touch my brakes
While approaching an elderly pair;
They walk in repose, I soon overtake,
Going round them with exceptional care.
Pebbles in the road cause my bike to shake,
I regain balance with fabulous flair.
Sunday rides on the Canal clear my mind,
I let down my hair and slowly unwind.

A young family is ahead on the trail,
Dad's pushing a stroller, son's on his bike.
I move to their left just missing a nail,
Ride by a pony-tailed girl on her trike.
A schooner cruises past in billowed sail
Fighting the fast current, stubborn waves spike.
So awesome to have this in my locale;
Life in motion on the Cape Cod Canal.

© Copyright pending Susan R. O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment