Thursday, October 25, 2012

Butternut Squash

Tonight I thought I’d cook up some soup
Just enough for me, not a whole group
Butternut squash, the main ingredient
With a recipe I found, no need to invent
I roasted the squash and minced the onion
And used my food processor to make it fun
Then on a whim I added some fruit
An apple minced with onion, oh what a hoot
So I minced an apple to sauté on the stove
Oh boy, what a great concoction I wove
The squash was roasted, the fruit sautéed
With onion, some ginger; I was on a crusade
What a thrill I had when I pulled out the blender
Just what would my squash and veggie broth render?
So I pureed, pureed, then pureed some more
And hoped it would soon be thin enough to pour
But it wouldn’t puree so I added more broth
But all I got was a burnt orange froth
I must have misread the recipe along the way
The mixture was creamy, that’s how it would stay
So I heated it through and gave it a taste
I decided that it would not go to waste
It was surprisingly good, really quite yummy
And so I had a bowl to fill up my tummy
So I’ll try this recipe on another day
I’ll make soup with squash, I’ll not run away
From trying something new to serve at dinner
In the meanwhile, my creamy squash is a winner

3 comments:

  1. You were very ambitious, your soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I guess I should have bought the can of Squash soup from Campbell's I saw...just heat it up and eat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup looks just yummy and the poem is a perfect accompaniment! Sometimes doing the recipe the long was is a fulfilling experience.

    ReplyDelete